Girl talking to police

When To Contact Children Services In A Dayton, Ohio Child Custody Case

Girl talking to policeThis is the next post in our series on the handling of emergency child custody cases in Dayton, Ohio. Our last article discussed how a parent’s false claims can impact child custody. It is, unfortunately, not uncommon for a parent to make false accusations about their counterpart in an attempt to gain full custody of the child. Such attempts, however, can backfire and result in the accused parent receiving more time with the child. If you are a parent who is facing false allegations of abuse and neglect, it is important to discuss your situation with an attorney as soon as possible. In this article we will discuss a topic which can lead to confusion or frustration for parents – whether or not it is appropriate to contact Children Services. If you are in need of assistance, contact our office today to speak with a lawyer.

Reports to Children Services (CS) are appropriate when a child is being physically abused or neglected. Examples of neglect can include the child not having adequate food to eat, the home being dirty to the point of posing a health risk, or a very young child being left unattended. It may also be appropriate to contact CS if the other parent is abusing drugs. Once CS is contacted, an investigation will be launched into the accusations. If appropriate, action will be taken. The agency may take the child out of the home and place them with the other parent or in temporary housing, until the situation is corrected. Depending on the facts of the case, more extreme action may be taken. One thing that is very important to understand that if your child’s physical safety is in immediate danger, the first step is to call the police as CS will not immediately visit the home and take action.

It is not uncommon for parents to request an investigation of their counterpart for reasons which do not justify the involvement of Children Services. Disagreements over parenting styles or lifestyle choices typically do not constitute an “emergency.” Governmental agencies will typically only become involved when the child is facing some type of harm. Given that Children Services will not become immediately involved in a situation, it is best to speak with an attorney before contacting the agency. This is due to the fact that making unsubstantiated claims can be seen as attempting to interfere in the relationship between your counterpart and the child.

If you are a parent and are concerned about the well-being of your son or daughter, then contact our office today to speak with a Dayton child custody lawyer. Our firm prides itself on providing a high level of service and we are ready to assist you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with an attorney. We also assist parents in Beavercreek, Centerville, Clayton, Eaton, Englewood, Fairborn, Franklin, Harrison Township, Huber Heights, Kettering, Oakwood, Lebanon, Miami Township, Miamisburg, Piqua, Riverside, Springboro, Springfield, Tipp City, Trotwood, Troy,  Vandalia, Waynesville, Washington Township, West Carrollton, Yellow Springs, and Xenia.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *